This is Christmas in a cup. Super easy and delicious.
Serves: Around 7
Preparation time: 15 mins
1 large orange
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 whole nutmeg, grated
1 star anise
2 satsumas or clementines
2 x 750ml bottles red wine
150g caster sugar
Brandy or sloe or damson gin, to taste (optional)
- Peel the rind from the orange and lemon and put in a hot pan with the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Gently stir. Stud the satsumas with the whole cloves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, pour in the wine and add the studded satsuma and the star anise.
- Bring up to the boil then immediately reduce down the heat to a gentle simmer for around 10mins. Give it a gentle stir to combine the syrup and the wine.
- Warm up some mugs with hot water.
- Once the mulled wine is ready, add a dash of brandy or sloe / damson gin if you wish.
- Pour out the water and pour in the lovely delicious mulled wine.
- Yum, christmas in a cup.