Banana Fritters (or pancakes?)
I’ve been meaning to make these for ages. I just love pancakes and I love bananas. By the way I’m not quite sure if these are technically fritters or pancakes but who cares they taste good.
I saw a variety of recipes eggs / no eggs, sugar / no sugar, spices / no spices. So I threw caution to the wind and just did my own version. Here it is folks.
Preparation time: 5 mins (yes just 5mins)
Cooking time: 5 – 6 mins per batch
150g self raising flour
5 small or 4 large ripe bananas
3 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
3-4 tbsp grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil – not olive oil) for frying
- Mash up the bananas.
- Add the eggs and combine.
- Sift in the flour and fold in.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract and milk and gently combine.
- Heat the oil to a high temperature (do not leave unattended).
- Using a large spoon, carefully drop in a large dollop of the mixture into the pan (approx 5cm diameter), immediately turn down the heat to medium/low. Don’t overcrowd the pan, you will be able to do 2 or 3 at a time depending on the pan size.
- Once you start to see small bubbles form on the top it’s time to turn them over. This is usually after approx 3 – 4 minutes.
- Once cooked, pop onto some kitchen roll to absorb excess oil.
- Serve up with either
- A dusting of brown sugar
- Drizzle of honey
- Drizzle of golden syrup
- Chocolate nut spread