Recipes: Homemade Burgers
with Corn on the Cob
I love making homemade burgers as you know exactly what is going into it and they’re super easy to make. You could go one step further and ask the butcher to mince a cut of meat in front of you but I’m happy to buy a packet of mince from the supermarket/butchers. I love this dish as all the family can tuck in. The other bonus of making you own is that you can tailor the size according to mouth!
Preparation: 10 mins
500g of minced steak or minced beef.
2 slices of old bead or ready made breadcrumbs. Tip: If you don’t have any old bread, lighlt toast a couple of slices of fresh bread and leave to cool.
1/2 medium red onion (or white if you don’t have red), finely chopped.
Flat leaf parsley, chopped.
1 beef tomato, washed and sliced.
Corn on the cob.
Little gem lettuce, washed and torn.
Cheddar cheese, sliced.
- If making the breadcrumbs, whizz the bread up in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can make the breadcrumbs by hand by rubbing the bread between you’re fingers. A food processor just makes the texture finer and more consistent.
- In a bowl mix up the finely chopped red onion, minced beef, 1 egg, chopped parsley, the breadcrumbs and a little black pepper.
- Form the mince mixture into 6 balls then flatten to form burgers about 2 cm thick. You could of course make smaller burgers for the children. If there are too many, these burgers freeze well. If preparing ahead, put the burgers in the fridge.
- Cook the corn on the cob. I find wrapped in foil and oven baked for about 15mins works best but they can be boiled.
- Heat up a griddle pan on a high heat and drizzle the burgers with oil. Cook the burgers on a medium heat for about 4 – 5 mins each side.
- Lightly toast the burger buns.
- Assemble the burgers with the toppings. I particularly like adding a spicy salsa for the adults.
- Serve up with the corn on the cob.
- For larger appetites serve with a portion of homemade chips, or roasted baby potatoes (skin on).
- Tuck in.
Tip: for my 9 month old I will make a really small ‘burger/meatball’, boil some baby pasta and then make a little pasta dish with chopped tomato, sweetcorn and mince beef. If you have any homemade tomato sauce in the freezer then that would go perfectly in this dish too.